I thought I had figured out the myrtle leaf lace pattern, but when I looked at the blocked piece closely and compared it to the picture in the book, something was amiss. I thought that the pattern was a bit wonky, the way half the leaves closed differently than the other half, but figured it had to be that way to make the pattern work. Wrong! As it turns out, there was an error in the original pattern, and soon after Victorian Lace Today came out in 2006, a correction was provided by the book's publisher. So, here is the result of attempt # 4.
Comparing this to the previous attempt pictured below, you can see that the leaves are now uniform.
done horribly wrong
With these multiple attempts to get it right, I find that I am now very familiar with each row and am no longer consulting the pattern. It's going rather quickly, in fact. I can't say that I have fully engaged my default mode network in doing this project just yet. It still requires me to pay attention without being too taxing. A perfect distraction when I'd rather not think of the day's challenges.