Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Second Yarn Respite This Month

It's feast or famine, it would seem, in the spend-time-with-yarn-pals department.  For most of the spring semester our campus knitting group consisted of me, or one or another knitter, but rarely all of us together.  Even when we could all make it to lunch on Friday, it was just the three of us.  After eating my lunch and knitting alone a few times, even I gave up.  Then, there was the beginning of May and the wonderful trip to VT and NH with a few yarn pals.  It was so great to put some distance between work and yarn, and to enjoy the company of a few great pals.

The fruits of our labor hanging out to dry.
I barely can handle the joy of a SECOND yarn pal adventure, this time further afield to visit Oogy (her blog name; I call her another name that is Top Secret). Day 1: knit.  Day 2: knit some more, and dye roving, skeins, and sock blanks with Oogy's pal LW.  Day 3: Knit even more, dye more roving, skeins, and sock blanks, AND spin outside.  Day 4: Knit, dye, spin (inside because it's raining), repeat.  Don't worry, we've also had plenty to eat and drink.
caked sock blanks and twisted skeins

Deck Spinners

Spinning goal: make thinner yarn.  Pictured on the right is a hot mess on fire of over-twisted 2-ply yarn. 
I discovered that to make fingering-weight yarn I needed to 1) change the drive ratio, which alone yielded the twisted nightmare on the right,  and 2) change from double drive to scotch-tension, which fixed the problem I was having with the bobbin failing to pull the yarn in. 
My usual DK/light worsted-weight next to something closer to fingering wt yarn.
I suppose it's time to return to Real Life, with batteries fully charged, at least.

2 comments:

Oogyknitter said...

Great post, Neuro! Thanks again for an amazing yarn visit and all the fun - and thanks to Neurohubby for all the treats!!

Hartland girl said...

Looks like a great time and well deserved respite!