Friday, May 31, 2019

Iris Inspired

Eager to extend our fiber-filled holiday for another day, Oogy and I set up one last dye pot.  She had leftover dye in colors Cranberry and Lilac, which were not enough for a full pot by themselves, but together were likely to yield some medium dark roving and yarn.  Now that I'm back to Reality, I am continuing my quest to spin thinner yarn, using the roving from that pot.  As I'm spinning away, I look out the window, and it slowly occurred to me that the roving that was nicely loading onto the bobbin was the EXACT color of the irises in my garden.

We're looking out at the iris patch
These plants are all over my yard.  They surround the house, and even the ones I threw out last fall have taken up residence and established their own flower bed.  They are growing in 2 neighbors' gardens, and a number of friends in the area have adopted them over the years.  I planted them here about 10 years ago.  I got them from my dad, who got them from his aunt who was growing them in Vermont.  She got them from my grandmother, who grew them in Connecticut and gave them to my aunt when she and my grandfather moved to Florida in the mid 1960s.  I'm sure half of Florida is covered with them, too. They are still in VT, and in all of my siblings' gardens in CT.  I think of them as legacy flowers, a link to my grandparents and my beloved great aunt, and now my dad, all of whom have left this world and are probably growing irises in the next one.

Having discovered this resemblance to the irises, I have added some yellow fiber I had sitting around to the roving and will spin separately some green roving, which was also waiting patiently for me to spin it.
 

Let me know if you'd like some irises...

1 comment:

Oogyknitter said...

Neuro - Wow, your flowers and fiber are both so beautiful!! It's possible that deer might bypass irises except in extremely low-food situations - can you save me some bulbs the next time you excavate them?