Sunday, June 21, 2020

Spinning Up North

I decided a few months ago to bring my spinning wheel North and leave it there for awhile.  This was partially in anticipation of how nice it would be to spin while looking out at the hay fields, listening to the birds.  Taking the wheel out of my fiber room/home office was also a good idea, both because I needed more space to use that room as an office and it was probably good to remove the temptation.  Spin, or record a lecture?  Spin, or grade papers?  Spin, or answer the rapidly growing pile of emails?  Spin, or attend yet another remote video conference?

So now that travel restrictions have been relaxed a bit, I was finally able to go North and do some spinning. 
 
Alpaca/Merino Blend, singles on top, 2-ply below

Blend of two rovings, both of unknown fiber content (sorry, bad note-keeper)

From roving that was intermittently dyed with lots of different colors.  This was before I was introduced to speckle dyeing; that roving awaits the wheel.

While there I made plans to go for an appropriately-socially-distanced walk with one of the few neighbors.  I showed her some of the newly-spun yarn and this prompted her to say that we should go visit the sheep farm down the road.  I have been going North regularly since 1982 and it was only YESTERDAY that I learned that there has been a SHEEP FARM down the road since 1990.  So, off we went to visit the sheep farm. To be fair, it is tucked away on a private road through the woods.  They raise Romney/Border Leicester Crosses that produce a soft, long-staple wool in beautiful shades ranging from dark brown to cream.  The sheep all have names and it was nice to meet them and hear about their personalities.  I’ve made plans with the shepherd to acquire some of her roving next time I’m up there.

Bringing the wheel up was a good idea, indeed!

1 comment:

Oogyknitter said...

Neuro! It sounds like you had a lovely time Up North, and you were also very productive with your wheel! Great news about the local sheepies - it will be fun to see what their roving looks like, and if it comes with their name as well!