Thursday, August 4, 2022

Waiting to be airborne

I've got my yarn picked out for Sharon Air.  The skeins are sitting there, patiently in a row, wondering why I haven't made them into cakes yet.  

This is more of the bamboo/wool blend yarn that Oogy and I enjoyed dyeing earlier this summer.  The colors of these skeins are inspired by the wildflowers that grow along the highway in Vermont in mid-July.  Cornflowers, Queen Anne's Lace, the dried out grass, and various bright yellow flowers, including Goldenrod and Black Eyed Susans.  I used a dilute solution of "lavender" to make the cornflower blue, speckled-dyed with "sangria" to approximate the tiny reddish-purple center of Queen Anne's lace, "straw" for the dried-out grass, and a dilute solution of "golden yellow" for the yellow flowers.  

I purposefully left out green, but I am feeling a bit uncertain about that now.  

In the meantime, I am working on a center-out project, and I'm on the outer bands of it now.  Each row is over 400 stitches and takes forever!  The finished object will be nice, but I won't say much about it in case the recipient is looking...I'll just give a little peak of the center. I'm not a huge fan of using stitch markers, but they are essential for this project, and there are 23 of them.




 
  

1 comment:

Oogyknitter said...

Those colors are amazing!!! I think it's OK to leave out the green for now - you can always plan to incorporate a leaf-shaped shawl pin or similar to accessorize with! Your new project is so pretty! I find my appreciation of stitch markers growing as I flit from project to project; their use varies from absolutely essential (as in marking a center stitch for increases) to prophylactic (such as the case for your project here) to a pleasant reminder (oh yeah - slip those last stitches WYIF!!!!).